background

Friday, July 4, 2008

My Little Swimmer


Never underestimate your child's abilities! I learned that on Tuesday at the pool. Sophia started taking the swim test last year so that she could cruise down the big slide. This past Tuesday she asked if I would take her over to swim the test so we all four walked over to the "big" pool. Benjamin kept begging, "can I please take the test mom?" "Please just let me try?" Well, in swimming lessons they really don't have that much time swimming laps or at least not when they are not being pushed to do it. I knew he always passed the little '25 feet with no floatation devices' but had never seen him doing laps :-). I repeatedly told him "not this time Benjamin, I don't think you're ready for 25 meters yet." Well, I realized that he was just going to have to see that for himself. The lifeguard agreed to let him try. Well, let me just tell you...... he swam from one end of the pool to the other just as fast as he could move face in and out of the water, never slowed up or even thought of grabbing for the side. He wouldn't have been able to touch the bottom even if he tried. Proved me wrong!!! Passed the swim test with flying colors and spent the next hour going up and down the big slide! He was so proud of himself. Everywhere we went that day he told them that he passed the swim test at the YMCA :-)


In the background you can see the lap lanes and appreciate just how far 25 meters is :-)

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Go Benjamin! What a boost of confidence for him, and for you! Passing that swim test is definitely a feat...he has every right to be proud of himself!:)

dandsratz said...

Woo-Hoo Benjamin!!! That is a HUGE HUGE HUGE accomplishment!! We KNOW how LONG that "swimmers test lane" is...and that deserves the BIGGEST cheers!! I am SOO proud of you Benjamin!!!

Jayne said...

What a really proud day for Benjamin!! Many crazy tears and cheers came as a result of "that swimm" last summer!!

Busch Gardens July 2008